The Vampire Facial®, popularized by Kim Kardashian, is just another term for a platelet rich plasma or PRP facial. It is a microneedling procedure that involves creating micro channels in the skin using a device that has 12 sterile super fine needles. These needles penetrate from .05 mm to 2.0 mm to trigger your body’s natural wound healing response, which in turn generates collagen, elastin and other plumping, healing actions in the skin.
We then cover the treatment area with the patient’s own platelet-rich plasma. Once a patient’s blood is drawn, it is placed in a centrifuge to isolate the platelets. This produces concentrated platelets that house many different growth factors. The growth factors are used to “trick” the body into regenerating itself and rejuvenating the skin.
Throughout the microneedling process, the skin is covered in sterile saline or hyaluronic acid serum and then your PRP is applied allowing the platelets to penetrate deeper into the skin It can and usually will also be injected into areas of firmness or volume.
The nickname Vampire Facial® was coined by Dr. Charles Runels and has since been trademarked and stems from the fact that by the end of the procedure your face is covered in PRP from your blood.
What can vampire facials help with?
On top of the regular benefits of the microneedling process such as the creation of new collagen and elastin producing a tightening effect of the skin, you can also experience the benefits of the PRP addition. Because of the cell regeneration triggered by the platelets, people often see a reduction in fine lines, wrinkles, age and sun spots, certain types of stretch marks and acne scars.
Tips and Tricks
If you are going to get your own Collagen Induction Therapy/PRP/Vampire Facial® here are a few tips for you based on my experience:
- Your skin will be mildly inflamed for a up to 3 days and may or may not likely peel for a couple more, so plan accordingly around events and activities. (peeling is not necessary for results).
- Protect your skin from the sun for up to a month afterwards using a good mineral sun screen.
- Plan on getting several treatments for optimal results.
- Hydrate well and avoid smoking for several weeks before the procedure.
- Clear up any acne flare-ups before your appointment.
- Post-treatment, use natural and nourishing skin care products for your daily routine such as Lytera Lightening System.
To learn more about Vermont Med Spa, collagen induction therapy, PRP and stem cell procedures in Los Angeles, CA, please call (213) 335-3542 to schedule your complementary consultation.
Have you ever had a Vampire Facial®? We’d love to hear about your experience!